Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hi Rickson9, since the link you reference in your signature includes you selling seats to a $500 seminar that is very / directly related to many of your recent posts, can you offer me a free seat to the seminar? I thought this was a member ad free site?

If you have a great way to make $ in the US real-estate market, please share the details with us freely instead of posting ads on this forum.

This is my opinion at least, but I'm not an admin of this form so maybe I should just STFU (learned that one last week). Maybe you should too when it comes to making money on the US housing market on this forum until you either remove the selling something part of your site; or remove the reference to your site in your signature; or offer people free seats to it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I agree with you ssimps, but I am not sure if he is disallowed to do so.
If he is allowed to, that is fine, it is not my decision to make.

IMO, it opens up a crack in the door to allow members to act as if they are giving objective advise / help when they are really just trying to drum up business, and diminishes the credibility of the site overall.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I too am extremely irritated....I joined a few months ago and since I joined I clearly remember a post by Rickson stating that he had no other real estate other than his condo and made his money in stocks.

Now when you check out his website it suggests that he made his money in real estate.

There is money to be made in real estate in the States but... the same caveats apply that here also apply there. There is money to be made here too.

The main difference between here and there is that they have much fewer consumer protection laws there then we do here. For instance here real estate under foreclosure must be sold into the open real estate market. It must be listed on the MLS just like any other property. In the States there is no such direction real estate may be disposed of in many different ways. By auction, by internet auction bidding, trustee, and more.

The main caveats for Canadians in the States are you do not know the area. Every state has different laws. Canadians must put at least 50% down on properties or pay cash.

So yeah go to the States for a month and look around and buy something but remember buyer beware!!!! There's a lot more people trying to rip you off than make you rich. If it were a great deal this guys relatives/friends would be picking it up. It's no mistake that the guy picking up this deal is a REALTOR who KNOWS HIS MARKET. The same house 2 blocks over might be worth hundreds of thousands less.

So yeah I'm suspicious and I don't like it. Last time when I asked Rickson to share what he had bought he told me to pay the $500 to find out. He also castigated me for being poor still. "(not for long i'm working on it. That's why i'm here to learn not to brag)I do know about real estate that is my job for the last 10 years or so.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yea I agree internet forums are for sharing information not enticing people to pay you for it

You seem to have a pretty high profile maybe you should be careful what you post on the interwebz I was surprised when I clicked on your Rickson9 youtube profile and found a video from carpetmunch.net

Maybe an admin can fix that for you

·
Registered
229 Posts
You seem to have a pretty high profile maybe you should be careful what you post on the interwebz I was surprised when I clicked on your Rickson9 youtube profile and found a video from carpetmunch.net

That video is his "favourite", his name is Jim under that Rickson9 profile in youtube and his recent activity is to subscribe to: REProfitCoach, CBCDragonDen, JimTheRealtor, etc ... so based on the profiles it looks like the same person, and it's very interesting that he put such video as his favourite - I am not suggesting anything here, but Rickson9, you might want to update your favourite video

·
Banned
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I too am extremely irritated
Don't be irritated. Be happy! It's the holiday season!

The main difference between here and there is that they have much fewer consumer protection laws there then we do here. For instance here real estate under foreclosure must be sold into the open real estate market. It must be listed on the MLS just like any other property. In the States there is no such direction real estate may be disposed of in many different ways. By auction, by internet auction bidding, trustee, and more.
This is your big objection? You're kidding right?

The main caveats for Canadians in the States are you do not know the area. Every state has different laws. Canadians must put at least 50% down on properties or pay cash.
This is your second big objection? You're kidding right?

I should write down all the objections I've heard over the years. It would be quite a hefty novel. I can call it, "The Book of Fail". LOL

If it were a great deal this guys relatives/friends would be picking it up.
This is definitely not true. I haven't been investing as long as others, but I know for a fact that this isn't why great deals aren't picked up. In every bear market that I've bought in including the recent stock market and real estate crashes, people don't buy because they create objections and induce fear for themselves. Just like what you are doing (don't feel too badly, 9 out of 10 readers of this are doing it too).

It's no mistake that the guy picking up this deal is a REALTOR who KNOWS HIS MARKET. The same house 2 blocks over might be worth hundreds of thousands less.
Perhaps you should re-visit the video and actually listen to the commentary. The 'guy picking up this deal' has picked up 271 deals in 2009 and made, on average $288,000 per deal. The income from this is slightly north of $78M. He's a realtor? I'm sure he is. LOL

The second point, at least, is true. I bought 2 bed 2 bath condos for $40K and literally a few blocks north were similar condos selling for $30K and if you studied the market you would know why. Learning a market isn't difficult, as long as you can understand English and arithmetic. However, for most, it is just another 'insurmountable objection'.

So yeah I'm suspicious and I don't like it.
Anyway, to discuss this is really quite pointless. I'm not going to change anybody's opinion any more than they will change mine. If you're scared. Don't invest. For myself, picking up assets after a 50% collapse is a no brainer. For others, it's a brain aneurysm. Individuals should invest in the way that they feel most comfortable. The market rewards and the market punishes. Everybody should be happy with the consequences of their (in)actions. I am.

PS: Learn to deflect if you don't know how to make money, it will make you feel better.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I don't always agree with Rickson's manner of speaking to people, but I've got to say that I enjoy hearing his or other people's money-making ideas. He's let the information be available to those who may want to follow up but I don't find that he is overtly marketing his seminars. I also like hearing other members point out any potential flaws or things to be aware of regarding any proposed investments and the "back and forth" on-topic discussions can lead to a better understanding of the investments.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Rickson9,
Other than the $500 fee for your seminar, what kind of investment capital would one need to enter this US RE market that you speak of?
It would be a pity to spend $500 for your seminar only to find out that one needs at least $1M capital to play this market.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rickson9,
Other than the $500 fee for your seminar, what kind of investment capital would one need to enter this US RE market that you speak of?
It would be a pity to spend $500 for your seminar only to find out that one needs at least $1M capital to play this market.
I'm guessing that will be revealed in the seminar :rolleyes: My interest was tickled until I saw his website... Give me three hours and a decent paycheck and I can have that bad boy looking presentable. Yes I'm serious. Pm me. My greatest peeve is people who are truly successful but who don't put time into presentation.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I don't always agree with Rickson's manner of speaking to people, but I've got to say that I enjoy hearing his or other people's money-making ideas. He's let the information be available to those who may want to follow up but I don't find that he is overtly marketing his seminars. I also like hearing other members point out any potential flaws or things to be aware of regarding any proposed investments and the "back and forth" on-topic discussions can lead to a better understanding of the investments.
I agree totallly.

But what does a link to an ad in his signature have to do with his posts on this forum. I'm not suggesting him stop posting, I asking that this ad link be removed from his sig.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
But what does a link to an ad in his signature have to do with his posts on this forum. I'm not suggesting him stop posting, I asking that this ad link be removed from his sig.

I don't know, it doesn't bother me especially since he also shares quite a lot of information about his investments and investment style. I've spent some time checking out his selections and Columbia sports wear and the Buckle would be stocks that I would consider at the right price. They are also stocks that I might not have considered otherwise, so I am happy for the link, even if he does notify people of events that he charges for.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm guessing that will be revealed in the seminar :rolleyes: My interest was tickled until I saw his website... Give me three hours and a decent paycheck and I can have that bad boy looking presentable. Yes I'm serious. Pm me. My greatest peeve is people who are truly successful but who don't put time into presentation.
Yea the website screamed "scam" to me, so I went googling for dirt but I guess it is the presentation

I did find the same ad in craigslist for $30 a person

I think it's genuine he wants to spread his 'lessons learned' and probably realizes $500 is a small price to avoid costly mistakes.

I've paid for great products on other forums made by knowledgeable members but I wouldn't be interested if they hadn't provided so much good info to the forum

·
Registered
40 Posts
Being almost 40 and having over a million in net worth, some nonliquid is not a big deal. There are many in that position, and many others with several times that net worth in liquid assets, although I admit it is certainly a position of relative fortune. However, I don't think a moderate level of net worth qualifes anyone as an expert in investing in stocks or real estate.

US real estate carries just as much risk if not more than any investment in the stock market. Caveat emptor. For many, buying a property in the US would become a large investment in a nonliquid asset in a foreign country with currency risk. There are also complicated legal and tax implications. Some of these properties are virtually illiquid, and may remain so for decades. $2,000 for a house? An investor in such a property may simply be saving the Michigan government the expense and hassle of bulldozing the property which they will do to all the other houses in the neighbourhood to save the carrying costs because the USA grossly overbuilt the residential market for an entire decade.

Be careful with your money. Do careful due diligence. Avoid the salespeople. There is rarely value in paying fees for newsletters, investments, or seminars.

The road to wealth is a marathon, not a sprint. Many of you are very young, and that is your greatest asset. Don't blow your valuable young savings which will compound to a fortune over your lifetime.

·
Registered
382 Posts

I don't know, it doesn't bother me especially since he also shares quite a lot of information about his investments and investment style. I've spent some time checking out his selections and Columbia sports wear and the Buckle would be stocks that I would consider at the right price. They are also stocks that I might not have considered otherwise, so I am happy for the link, even if he does notify people of events that he charges for.

So why does he not break the 2 apart, have his site that is sharing info for free and not selling anything (and is in his sig) and have a different site that he sells stuff with (not in his sig), or maybe he could buy ad space on this site to sell his seminar and support the site at the same time. Right now his site is more 'I have something to sell you that will make you rich like me' than anything else like giving good info for free that he could post on a site like this; IMO

Here's hoping this site can stay as spam free as possible, as it is a great resource and I really enjoy the posts and input from members, especially those members that do not feel the need to have a signature that pronounces they are a millionaire and that I should visit their site, only to find that the millionaire is selling seats to a get rich seminar. ;)

This will be my last post on this issue, unless I'm asked a question about it or someone replies to one of my posts. I think I have beaten it to death, made my point of view clear, seen that it seems many others agree with the point, and it is up to the admins to decide what is spam or not in the end.

Over and out. ;)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I made 3 paragraphs before I decided "scam". And haven't read 1 post with any useful info and mostly just ignorant.

I've seen the owner of this site asked and never any fallow up.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts