Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all.

I'm feeling a little like doing some gambling. I have a grand that I am willing to flush down the toilet. Ideally, I'll get some kind of return, but does anybody have any high-risk ideas out there?

I have a whopping 1K in a new TFSA account, and it's burning a hole in my virtual pocket.:)

thanks!

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
If you want to burn it but have fun, why not go on a mini-vacation? 1K isn't a heck of a lot of money, but a nice night or two in a fancy hotel and some nice meals and entertainment would be a nice thing to blow it on.

·
Registered
240 Posts
hello all.

I'm feeling a little like doing some gambling. I have a grand that I am willing to flush down the toilet. Ideally, I'll get some kind of return, but does anybody have any high-risk ideas out there?thanks!
Send it to me , I'll use it for a while , maybe I'll send it back with interest , maybe I won't , that's about as high risk as you can get.:D

If you had bought KLH in June , you would now have about $3500.
It's high risk , but I'm betting there's still room for more in it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Buy Dec or Jan ^VIX 18 puts for 0.20. Sell when they get to 1.00 for a potential profit of 500% (minus transaction costs) in 2-3 months. They'll get to 1.00 if SP500 will gain about 4-5% from now to Dec (or Jan).

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'll take the opposite side of this trade. I find that the market is very complacent right now. I would be long volatility.

Buy Dec or Jan ^VIX 18 puts for 0.20. Sell when they get to 1.00 for a potential profit of 500% (minus transaction costs) in 2-3 months. They'll get to 1.00 if SP500 will gain about 4-5% from now to Dec (or Jan).

·
Registered
789 Posts
Hi:

Norbord NBD-T. Five years out, I expect it will be substantially higher. I own boatloads. Strong majority ownership in Brookfield Asset Management, efficient plants, debt falling, liquidity rising. All they need is sales and unit pricing. In Q2 2010 they had both, thus ROE of 44% that quarter. Q3, things softened again and ROE -8%. If housing in the States ever gets even remotely back to what it used to be, this one will make money hand over fist.

This is not blue chip, but definately of interest for more speculative holdings.

hboy43

·
Banned
113 Posts
Ideally, I'll get some kind of return,
You are such an idealist :).

If I was going to do play money, I'd probably find a niche or a company I 'like' that is doing nothing, and throw it all there.

The first and only time I ever did something like this, I threw a G at an online grocery retailer stock. Because of COURSE groceries were eventually going online. So I got in on the ground floor. Stock went down, down, down, pop, delisted, I got nada :). Which was OK because I knew I was speculating.

What I learned was speculating wasn't for me. What you should learn is not to take stock tips from me.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
If it's only 1G, I'd go somewhere abroad for a few weeks - "buy" an experience rather than a "stock".
$1,000 can buy you a nice vacation somewhere in the pacific, asia or some remote corner of Europe.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
If it's only 1G, I'd go somewhere abroad for a few weeks - "buy" an experience rather than a "stock".
$1,000 can buy you a nice vacation somewhere in the pacific, asia or some remote corner of Europe.
For $1k, you'd be lucky to buy airfare to those places and maybe a 6-pack of beer once you arrive.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'll take the opposite side of this trade. I find that the market is very complacent right now. I would be long volatility.
You'd make at most 0.20 and with 1000 in your account you could sell only 1 unit for a profit of $20 - $11 (transaction costs) = $9.
When SP500 goes up or drifts sideways -> ^VIX drops.
Long volatility with an index almost always means you expect a drop in that index.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
For $1k, you'd be lucky to buy airfare to those places and maybe a 6-pack of beer once you arrive.
Depends on the timing.
If you are flexible with your travel plans and are not too fussy with your needs, you can get rather good deals on international travel.
Just be willing to fly non full-fare carriers, stay at smaller B&B places or get deals in good hotels during off peak times.
Of course, $1K would be only for a single person and not enough if you need to chug along a partner or family.
And the deals are obviosuly better from the US rather than our fee-laden Canadian airports and airlines.
I just did a quick search on Travelocity's US site and I can fly to London from New York for 1 month (Nov.) for less than $500.
I'm sure I can beat that by at least another $100 using a bidding site like Priceline.
Alternative destinations like Manchester are cheaper.
And the deals will be better during Jan.

Anyhow, I know the OP was probably looking for an "investing" answer, but just something to think about.
Investing is not just buying stock, but sometimes spending as well....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts